Aim & Background
VicTESOL is offering a research grant to support research into the field of TESOL. The VicTESOL Research Grant for the amount of $10,000 will be awarded on the basis of proposals submitted by teams consisting of researchers and practitioners to undertake research into an existing or developing EAL focused program. The aims of the research is to evaluate and enhance or develop a program directed at addressing EAL learning needs.
The Research Grant will strengthen VicTESOL’s capacity to provide expertise and professional learning opportunities for VicTESOL members and the broader TESOL community. VicTESOL also expects the grant will support the generation of data that can inform decision making and practice in relation to the support of EAL programs.
It is important that the research fulfills VicTESOL’s aim of promoting excellence in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and fostering and supporting cultural and linguistic diversity through high quality multicultural education.
||17 April– Grant applications open
31 July – Applications close
2 October – Successful application announced
||Conduct Research Project
30 September – An interim report to be provided to VicTESOL by the Grant recipients
Dissemination of findings/outcomes of project:
- Written report
- VicTESOL workshop/symposium workshop conducted
- TESOL in Context journal article submitted
Distribution of the grant.
The grant will be distributed to the research team on granting and acceptance of the award.
- All members of the research team are current members of VicTESOL (either individual or institutional).
- The research is framed in a Victorian context.
- The research project’s major milestones will be achieved within two years of the grant being awarded.
- The research team will work in partnership with an educational institution that could be an early childhood centre, a school, or an accredited education provider in the adult sector. Consultation will be sought from a VicTESOL critical friend with regards to research methodology and rationale, if required.
- A clear understanding and appreciation of the needs of EAL learners.
- There is no conflict of interest for team members involved in undertaking the VicTESOL-funded research.
Criteria for evaluation of applications
Grant applications will be evaluated by the VicTESOL Research Grant Advisory Group* according to the following criteria:
- The research will provide data that informs better practice and decision-making in relation to the provision for the needs of EAL programs.
- The proposal identifies an area of EAL need for students that provides a rationale for a strategy to address that need.
- A clear description of the strategy and the anticipated outcomes of the strategy
- A well informed and explicitly presented statement of the nature of the data to be collected and analysed, and how this data will contribute to a better understanding of the issue addressed, and the results of the strategy.
- It is anticipated that research teams will include classroom teachers as well as members who have research expertise and experience (who may also be classroom teachers).
*The VicTESOL Research Grant Advisory Group consists of members from the VicTESOL executive and co-opted experienced and expert practitioners and researchers from the TESOL field.
Research Grant Application
(3-4 pages max)
In submitting a proposal, the research team needs to provide a considered, well-structured project framework that addresses the criteria on which the application will be judged. Research proposals must be submitted on the pro forma provided.
Funding will be considered for the following items *
- Teaching/marking release
- Travel expenses (It is anticipated that the maximum will be $500. If a higher amount is requested, an explanation and rationale needs to be provided)
- Materials/equipment (It is anticipated that the maximum will be $1500. If a higher amount is requested, an explanation and rationale needs to be provided).
- Software (It is anticipated that the maximum will be $1500. If a higher amount is requested, an explanation and rationale needs to be provided)
- CRT release for teaching staff
* N.B. A case can be made for items not listed